Mrs Aileen Tan Mei Hsuan
Head of Department
Members of the Department
- Mrs Aileen Tan Mei Hsuan
- Miss Tu Meng-Chi Stephanie
- Miss Jutina Loh
- Mdm Wu Shemei
- Miss Tan Hui Jun
- Mrs Maggie Yune
- Mrs Woon-Toh Shu Ying
- Miss Lim Huey Tyng
- Miss Lai Xiao Xin
- Miss Ng Li Min Beverly
- Mr Huang Yao Tian
- Mdm Pek Shi Yun
- Ms Jolynn Chia
Department’s MissionVision: Adventurous Learners with a passion for the Chinese Language.
Mission: Create an environment where pupils develop a love for Chinese Language.
Aims & Objectives
Key Approaches or Key Pedagogy
As the core pedagogy, Cooperative Learning fosters positive interdependence where students work together on a common task and feel responsible for their own and the group's effort.
Use of teaching strategies like Hot Seating, Still image, Sculpture, Thought Tracking, Process Drama, Theatre Games, Forum Theatre to develop student’s communicative skills in a fun and enjoyable way.
Use of structured writing package which aims to develop students in their writing skills progressively from P2-6.The writing package includes step by step writing strategies to guide students in writing expressively and coherently.
Integration of ICT
Use of interactive and visual online platform to develop self-directed learning and assign meaningful online tasks to reinforce learning. Use of P1 MOE XueLe learning platform for P1-6 levels and iMTL Portal for P3 to P6 levels. Every year, P4 level students carry out Learning on the Move programme, where they would make use of Ipads to complete a series of tasks on a learning trail.
Structured reading programme to cultivate reading habit and interest among the students. Class libraries are also set up in every Chinese class to foster a culture of reading.
Annually, the World Book Day is celebrated in collaboration with the National Library Board to enthuse students in reading.
Reading Passports are issued to students to encourage them to read widely. Upon completion, they would be recognised with certificates and gain opportunity to achieve the Best Reader’s award.
Learning journeys, outdoor learning, internalisation programme and Mother Tongue Fortnight activities are carried out to provide authentic learning experiences and to develop appreciation for the Chinese culture.
Assessment comprises of holistic assessments, ie formative assessments and summative assessments. Summative Assessments are in forms of mastery tests, Continual Assessments, Semestral Assessments, subject to different levels. Formative Assessments makes use of self and peer checklists to provide feedback to the students on their learning progress for improvement in learning.Cooperative Learning
Drama in Education
The D.I.E strategy is employed in the classroom to engage students in their understanding of story content as well as vocabulary comprehension.
"Three Billy Goats" Musical Performance Learning Journey
P4 ICT Learning Trail
P4 &5 Internationalisation Programme to Kuala Lumpur in 2015
P2 ICT Integrated Outdoor Learning
Mother Tongue Fortnight Activities
· Story-Telling By School Leaders
· NLB Story Telling
· Traditional Games Workshop
· Chinese Song Singing
· Learning Journey to watch musical performance
· Chimese Knot Tying Cultural Workshop
· World Book Day Programme
. Guess the Idioms Activity
· Chinese Song Appreciation
· Chinese Tea Appreciation Cultural Workshop
· Post-PSLE Buddy Reading(P6)
· World Book Day Programme
- Internal P1 Singing and Dance Competition
- Internal P2 Singing and Dance Competition
- Internal P3 Poem Recitation Competition
- Internal P4 Guess the Idioms Competition
- Internal P5 Knowledge Quiz Competition
- Internal P6 Knowledge Quiz Competition
- Campus Chinese Reading Super Star Competition 2016
- A talk was conducted for parents on Helping Their Child to Prepare for Primary School Leaving Examinations in Term 2.
- Lesson study is conducted together with the assistance of MOE and NIE.
Information for Parents
Tips for Parents -Creating a Conducive Learning Environment
- Show interest in your child’s CL learning experiences and encourage him or her to share them with you
- Encourage your child to learn through meaningful language games
- Read Chinese newspapers and books together, starting with books with attractive illustrations
- Bring your child to the library or bookshops to cultivate a reading habit
- Watch quality CL television programmes together -Make use of objects in your environment such as road signs and advertisements to engage your child in CL conversations
- Build up your child’s confidence by not correcting his or her mistakes excessively