Home > School Info > School History

School History

The original government-aided Hua Mien School, started in 1945, was situated at 226 Jalan Ulu Sembawang. The old school finally closed down 41 years later in 1986. Huamin Primary School derives its name from Hua Mien School. (But it has no other affiliation with the former school.) It opened its doors in Yishun New Town in 1989. Classes were first held in temporary premises at Northland Primary School in 1988. The Huamin Primary School Advisory Committee was formed in April 1991 with Mr Ang Kieow Mok as its chairman. The committee has done much to improve, upgrade as well as provide support to the pupils of the school. Today, the committee is headed by Mr Gopal Krishnan, BBM, PBM. Huamin Primary was officially opened on 22nd November 1991 by the MP for Sembawang GRC, Mr Ho Peng Kee. Since its establishment, Huamin Primary School has grown and improved in terms of academic excellence, CCA, art programmes and sports.   We have also seen 5 principals at its helm including our current principal, Mr Edmund Lim.  Our previous principals are Mr Foo Chee Meng, Mr Cher Kheng Wah, Mrs Rashidah Marican and Mr William Pushpam.

In 2007, we became the Centre of Excellence for Visual Arts in the N3 Cluster.  The school belongs to the N3 Cluster Schools under the able guidance of our Superintendent, Mdm Goh Mee Mee since 2012.


school.jpg